What Does the Queen of Swords Mean?
The Queen of Swords has the reputation of being the Ice Queen. She can appear to be cold as ice, to some. She just thinks with her head, not her heart. Every decision is made in logic & fact. She gets things done with precision & aplomb. Cold? Maybe. Effective? Definitely. Be the Ice Queen.
Tarot Card Meanings for the Queen of Swords
Queen of Swords General Keywords & Reversed Meanings
- Aloofness; intellectual; factual; solemn; a great thinker; critical and precise; observant; a widow; rationality; independent; witty.
- a complainer; can be verbally vicious; ruthless; cutting; manipulative; cunning; cold hearted; vindictive; spiteful; gossip.
Queen of Swords as People
- As Occupations
- Lawyer; judge; journalist; college/university lecturer; prison guard; executive; career woman; high flyer; negotiator; trouble shooter; politician/government official.
- As People
- An analytical and intelligent woman; quick-minded; a problem solver; clinical but not cold; likely to be highly educated or with an interest in continued education; a people watcher who observes more than she speaks; ardent and stoic; a sharp dresser; independent and self-disciplined; an astute businesswoman.
Queen of Swords as Events & Inner Processes
- As Events
- Success with literary projects; independence perhaps through divorce; entering into self-employment; a meeting with an advisor, perhaps even a psychologist; and end to personal troubles; business meetings; professional learning and certification; networking.
- As Inner Processes
- Applying logic to a situation; stepping back from the emotions; being objective; stepping out from behind your mask; finding mental clarity; having to be ruthless or strong willed; finding the light after the dark; new found inner wisdom; having the courage of your convictions.
Queens & Mothers
The Queen is but one way to represent the mature ladies that grace each suit. The main three decks follow this way but some decks break with this tradition. The Quest Tarot is one such deck where the court family is replaced with an actual family: father, mother, son & daughter. Changing the title of the card does shift the meaning a little and humanises the court card in a more familiar way, as I explore in How to Finally Conquer the Court Cards.
Queen of Swords Correspondences
|Elemental||Water of Air. Queens are water, the suit is air|
|Timing||Sept 12 – October 12|
|20° Virgo – 20° Libra|
|Rules 10 of Pentacles; 2 of Swords; 3 of Swords|
|Qabalah||Binah in Tiphareth|
|Numerical Values||4 – card counting value / letters of the Tetragrammaton|
|3 – Tree of Life sephira – Binah|
|13 – sequential, following the Knight of Swords|
|Yes or No||Maybe|