Tarot Card Meanings for the Suit of Cups
Within tarot card meanings, the tarot suit of cups represent your emotions, feelings, your subconscious, intuition and psychic ability. They deal with love affairs, all relationships, inner expression, your reactions or responses and the pursuit of happiness. Generally passive and not outwardly extrovert, creativity through expression are some of the traits of this tarot suit. Careers are usually in the arts or creative pursuits, they are poets, painters, florists and designers, nurses, social workers and care-givers. Cups people are happy in the background doing their own thing, though they are often actors distinguishing the limelight from private time like no others.
- Keywords for the Suit of Cups
- Creative, intuitive, clairsentient, psychic, passive, affectionate, receptive, imaginative, caring, relationships, love, dreams, sensitivity, romantic, artistic, spiritual, compassionate, tactile, nurturing, the unconscious mind, domesticity, culture, expression, flexibility, fluidity, calm motion, serenity, empathetic, aesthetics and beauty.
- Reversed Keywords
- Needy, co-dependent, intense, neglectful, fantasists, uncaring, cold, unfeeling, moody, unresponsive, illogical, lost, negative, pessimistic, emotional, overly sentimental, tearful, selfish.
Tarot Card Meanings for the Individual Cards from the Suit of Cups
- Ace of Cups
- Love in its purest sense; its connection to the divine source; increased psychic ability and intuition; mind, body & spirit in union; abundance; a new relationship; birth or pregnancy; sensual passion; inspired creativity. Learn more about the Ace of Cups
- 2 of Cups
- Love; harmony; emotional balance; love flowing freely; a repaired relationship; togetherness; close bonds and friendships; a relationship that is strengthening; mutual love and respect. Learn more about the 2 of Cups
- 3 of Cups
- Joy; abundance in love; being in love; giving love freely; feeling love from others; gatherings and celebrations; success with great satisfaction; feeling good. Learn more about the 3 of Cups
- 4 of Cups
- Ennui; inertia; settling for what you have; missing opportunities; apathy; melancholy; indifference; accepting what you have without seeking growth or progression. Learn more about the 4 of Cups
- 5 of Cups
- Sadness; feeling disappointed; feeling let down or betrayed; the doldrums; acceptance of misfortune; malaise; despondency; discontent. Learn more about the 5 of Cups
- 6 of Cups
- Pleasure; sentimentality; nostalgia; happy memories; indulgence; sexual pleasures; enjoyment; gratification; excitement; ecstasy. Learn more about the 6 of Cups
- 7 of Cups
- Excesses; over-indulgence; gluttony; lack of morality; alcoholism; drug use or addiction; debauchery; making ill-informed choices; corruption; daydreaming; wishful thinking; delusion; confusion. Learn more about the 7 of Cups
- 8 of Cups
- Lethargy; indifference; melancholy; despondency; feeling dejected; turning away from your aim, giving up; choosing to leave. Learn more about the 8 of Cups
- 9 of Cups
- Contentment; satisfaction; universal joy; success; a bright future; brimming with joy; blessings; feeling good about everything; bliss. Learn more about the 9 of Cups
- 10 of Cups
- Fulfillment; perfect harmony; emotional stability; satisfaction; a happy family unit; your dream becoming reality; security. Learn more about teh 10 of Cups
- Page of Cups
- A somewhat sensitive youth; perceptive and perhaps psychic; gentle and light-footed; articulate and artistic; includes dreamers and poets. Learn more about the Page of Cups
- Knight of Cups
- An idealist and a dreamer; romantic and sensitive; a spiritual seeker or counsellor; sympathetic and compassionate; an artist; imaginative with big ideas. Learn more about the Knight of Cups
- Queen of Cups
- A sensitive and quiet woman; gifted with artistic abilities; gentle and demure; almost certainly psychic, and at the least highly intuitive; graceful and stylish. Learn more about the Queen of Cups
- King of Cups
- A compassionate and somewhat emotional man; likely to not only feel deeply but also express it too; knowledgeable on spiritual and mystical matters. Learn more about the King of Cups
Further Tarot Study of the Suit of Cups
Correspondences for Cups as a Suit
|Other Names||Chalices, Grails, Cauldrons, Hearts, Vessels|
|Attrubutes||Passive, female; cold and wet|
|Astrological Signs||Pisces, Cancer, Scorpio|
|Direction||East||Season||Pagan – Autumn|
|Esoteric – Summer|
|Self||Emotions, love, receptivity|
|Qabbalistic World||Briah – the Creative World|
Correspondences for the Individual Tarot Cards from the Suit of Cups
To help you learn the associated correspondences for the tarot suit of Cups, see my colour coded minor arcana correspondence charts. They include the four elements, astrology, timing, numerology, card counting values and yes no tarot listings.
Tarot Suit of Cups and the Element of Water
As one of the four elements, water is seen as the emotions, your feelings, and your intuition. Considered passive, water can be deep or shallow; you like the ocean and are responsive to the moon; your tears can rise and fall; out of control, your emotions spill over and flood like a deluge.
Minor Arcana Numerology
Numerology of the Minor Arcana is a concise explanation of the numbers 1 – 10 through the eyes of numerology, modern and ancient, and is designed to assist you in seeing patterns across the suits as well as see the value of using numerology with tarot.
Tarot Court Cards
This group are somewhat complex and require more than just a few keywords to see them expressed with any sense of completeness. I grouped them into their rank in the following posts:
How to Finally Conquer the Tarot Court Cards also shows you how to bring this tarot family alive in a way you can relate to.