Tarot Suit of Cups Card Meanings
The tarot suit of cups represent your emotions, feelings, your subconscious, intuition and psychic ability. They deal with love affairs, all relationships, inner expression, your reactions or responses and the pursuit of happiness. Generally passive and often introverted; creativity through expression are some of the traits of this suit.
Careers are usually in the arts or creative pursuits, they are poets, painters, florists and designers, nurses, social workers and caregivers. Cups people are happy in the background doing their own thing, though they are often actors distinguishing the limelight from private time like no others.
- Keywords for the Suit of Cups
- Creative, intuitive, clairsentient, psychic, passive, affectionate, receptive, imaginative, caring, relationships, love, dreams, sensitivity, romantic, artistic, spiritual, compassionate, tactile, nurturing, the unconscious mind, domesticity, culture, expression, flexibility, fluidity, calm motion, serenity, empathetic, aesthetics and beauty.
- Reversed Keywords
- Needy, co-dependent, intense, neglectful, fantasists, uncaring, cold, unfeeling, moody, unresponsive, illogical, lost, negative, pessimistic, emotional, overly sentimental, tearful, selfish.
Suit of Cups Card Links
Correspondences for the Suit of Cups
|Other Names||Chalices, Grails, Cauldrons, Hearts, Vessels|
|Attrubutes||Passive, female; cold and wet|
|Astrological Signs||Pisces, Cancer, Scorpio|
|Season||Pagan – Autumn|
|Esoteric – Summer|
|Self||Emotions, love, receptivity|
|Qabbalistic World||Briah – the Creative World|
To help you learn the associated correspondences for the tarot suit of Cups, see my colour coded minor arcana correspondence charts. They include the four elements, astrology, timing, numerology, card counting values and yes no tarot listings.
A separate post, Timing Events Using Tarot and Astrology, goes much deeper in explaining how to derive timing from each tarot card in the deck using Traditional Tarot Timing and the complex astrological model by the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. Also colour coded, the post uses no less than seven tables to show the development of the system in an easy to understand tutorial.
The Element of Water & the Suit of Cups
As one of the four elements, water is seen as the emotions, your feelings, and your intuition. Considered passive, water can be deep or shallow; you like the ocean and are responsive to the moon; your tears can rise and fall; out of control, your emotions spill over and flood like a deluge. All of these themes are present within the Suit of Cups.
Minor Arcana Numerology
Numerology of the Minor Arcana is a concise explanation of the numbers 1 – 10 through the eyes of numerology, modern and ancient, and is designed to assist you in seeing patterns across the suits as well as see the value of using numerology with tarot.
Tarot Court Cards
This group are somewhat complex and require more than just a few keywords to see them expressed with any sense of completeness. I grouped them into their rank in the following posts:
- the pages, princesses and daughters
- the dashing knights, princes and sons
- the gracious queens and mothers
- the kings, knights and fathers.
How to Finally Conquer the Tarot Court Cards also shows you how to bring this tarot family alive in a way you can relate to.