What Does the Queen of Cups Mean?
The Queen of Cups is the full expression of emotional maturity. She loves, she creates, she cries & she shows herself. She is her hormones. She is maternal & nurturing, psychic & intuitive, sensual & alluring.
Tarot Card Meanings for the Queen of Cups
The Queen of Cups General Keywords & Reversed Meanings
- Mother; clairvoyant and psychic; a caring and nurturing woman; empathic and sensitive; often emotional; artistic and creative; a good listener.
- Dramatic and over-emotional; many tears; delusional; sometimes alcoholic or drug dependent; meek with low self-esteem; fragile; bitter; negative; pessimistic; depression.
The Queen of Cups as People
- Counsellor, therapist, mediator; artist; creatrix; stage production; make-up artist; beautician; social worker; dancers; psychic mediums; hostesses; caterers.
- As People:
- A sensitive and quiet woman; gifted with artistic abilities; gentle and demure; almost certainly psychic, and at the least highly intuitive; graceful and stylish; very loving and giving of herself; a good listener, perhaps a counsellor to many; a seeker of inner transformations and consciousness.
The Queen of Cups as Events & Processes
- As Events:
- Success in creative projects; consulting a psychic or spiritual advisor; approaching motherhood, or grand-motherhood; meeting with a counsellor or therapist; embarking on a creative but gentle hobby; a period of intense and prophetic dreams; redecorating your home; meditating and channelling.
- As Inner Processes:
- Exploring consciousness and spirituality; getting in touch with your feminine side; developing intuition and psychism; learning to open your third eye; acknowledging your emotions and feelings; embarking on spiritual pursuits; daydreaming; being subjective.
Queens & Mothers
The Queen is but one way to represent the mature ladies that grace each suit. The main three decks follow this way but some decks break with this tradition. The Quest Tarot is one such deck where the court family is replaced with an actual family: father, mother, son & daughter. Changing the title of the card does shift the meaning a little and humanises the court card in a more familiar way, as I explore in How to Finally Conquer the Court Cards.
Queen of Cups Correspondences
|Elemental||Water of Water. Queens are water, the suit is Water|
|Timing||Nov 13 – Dec 12|
|20° Gemini – 20° Cancer|
|Rules 10 of Swords; 2 of Cups; 3 of Cups|
|Qabalah||Binah in Briah|
|Numerical Values||4 – card counting value / letters of the Tetragrammaton|
|3 – Tree of Life sephira – Binah|
|13 – sequential, following the Knight of Cups|
|Yes or No||Yes|
Queen of Cups as a Daily Tarot Oracle Card
Oracle Message: Be open to receive love, healing & nurturing.
The Queen of Cups, that most beautiful and etheric of tarot queens, brings forth the most soothing of energies today. Serene, graceful and dignified, she offers nurturing on every level. She is gently spoken and gentle in her approach and despite the gifts she brings, she asks only one thing of you in this beautiful exchange – receptivity.
There are always many gifts, solutions, surprises and answers available to us at any one time. We often miss them because we’re not open to receiving them. And so this is your only task for today, be open to receive the gifts that the Universe is waiting to bestow upon you – the Queen of Cups brings the first of them.