What Does the King of Cups Mean?
The King of Cups represents the epitome of success through trusting the self. Highly realised by gut intuition, you cannot lie to this individual & get away with it. He is charming, confident but comfortable to be around.
Tarot Card Meanings for the King of Wands
The King of Cups General Keywords & Reversed Meanings
- Compassionate and caring; warm and generous; wise and thoughtful; his strength lies in his serenity; a protector and benefactor; calm; solid; altruistic.
- Petty; spiteful; selfish; lacking in commitment; a weak man; a philanderer; betrayal; lazy and sometimes violent; drug or alcohol abuse; a user.
- Teacher; priest/vicar; spiritual leader; therapist/psychologist; museum curator; negotiator; magistrate; veterinarian; doctor; bar owner; diplomats; mediators; judges.
- As People:
- A compassionate and somewhat emotional man; likely to not only feel deeply but also express it too; knowledgeable on spiritual and mystical matters; no doubt psychic or with a strong intuition; a warm and gentle guy, liked by many for his easy nature; the voice of reason in times of trouble; likely to be found in the caring professions and the arts.
- As Events:
- Consulting a spiritual advisor, psychic or therapist; the meeting of a personal mentor or guru; organising or managing a charity event; acting as a counsellor or guru to others; being a stay at home dad; the need to be firm but flexible; making a decision that will affect the family; finding your spiritual family.
- As Inner Processes:
- Learning to manage your emotions; controlling your psychism and channelling experiences; using your intuition to make decisions; connecting with your Higher Self; mastering discernment; being sensible in spiritual pursuits; being responsive not reactive.
The King of Cups as People
The King of Cups As Events & Inner Processes
Kings, Knights & Fathers
The King is but one way to represent the mature men that grace each suit. The main three decks follow this way but some decks break with this tradition. The Quest Tarot is one such deck where the court family is replaced with an actual family: father, mother, son & daughter. Changing the title of the card does shift the meaning a little and humanises the court card in a more familiar way, as I explore in How to Finally Conquer the Court Cards. For a little more information about this group in general, see my post Kings, Knights and Fathers.
Elemental Fire of Water. Kings are fire, the suit is water Timing Feb 9 – Mar 10 20° Aquarius – 20 ° Pisces Rules 7 of Swords; 8 of Cups; 9 of Cups Qabalah Chokmah in Briah Numerical Values 4 – card counting value / letters of the Tetragrammaton 2 – Tree of Life sephira – Chokmah 14 – sequential, following the Queen of Cups Yes or No Yes
King of Cups as a Daily Tarot Oracle Card
Oracle Message: Support others by supporting yourself first.
The King of Cups is many things, an enigma among the other cards, and so your day may also feel this way – confused, changeable and with many different things that seem to require your attention from upset teenagers to misunderstandings with others that arise from unchecked emotions.
It can be quite a day. Your place in all of this is to rise above and deal with things as a king would – take charge, direct and help solve problems. This may actually be quite draining for you and so you must take a little time out to dig deep into your emotional stores to deal with the day effectively.
The King of Cups is often a counsellor or spiritual helper and so it may be time for you to consider finding your own support from this type of person. Or become one. For those of you considering a career as a counsellor/therapist – consider this card the sign you were looking for to begin your training.
Support comes in many forms but as a daily tarot card, it may come from a book or podcast you are reading or listening to. My own favourites are Brene Brown, Tony Robbins and Les Brown but you can find many others on TED, YouTube, iTunes, Spotify and Audible. Sometimes the soothing words of another can be all you need in the moment.
Tarot Card Meanings Supporting Posts
Did you love this post? Tell your friends about it!